LawSure Direct Limited (LawSure) believes that maintaining the security of your data is a key priority and we are committed to respecting your privacy rights. We pledge to handle your data fairly and legally. LawSure is also dedicated to being transparent about what data we collect about you and how we use it.
LawSure understands the importance of protecting children’s privacy, especially in an online environment. Our sites are not intentionally designed for or directed at children under the age of 13 years. It is our policy never to knowingly collect or maintain information about anyone under the age of 13.
This policy (which applies whether you visit our website inquire about insurances available through us, discuss options with us by telephone, email or online chat facilities or purchase an insurance or indemnity cover) provides you with information about:
- How we use your data
- What personal data we collect
- How we ensure your privacy is maintained, and
- Your legal rights relating to your personal data
How we use your data
LawSure (and trusted partners acting on our behalf) use your personal data in order to:
- Provide you with quotations from Insurers
- Arrange and administer your policy if you buy one through us
- Verify your identity
- For crime and fraud protection and related purposes
- Inform you about our products and services
- Make a tailored website available to you
- Satisfy legal requests for information from any relevant authority
If you subscribe to newsletters from our company, we may be able to confirm the e-mail addresses of subscribers who have clicked on URLs embedded in our message content; we collect this information to gauge user interest and to make future newsletters more useful by customising the content provided to you.
If you visit our website, you may receive personalised advertisements for LawSure products and services whilst using other websites. Any advertisements you see will relate to products and services you have viewed while browsing our website or which we believe may be of interest to you.
Sharing Data with Third Parties
Our service providers
In order to maximise the services we are able to provide to you, we may need to share your data with some of our chosen service partners including IT and marketing services providers such as Google or Facebook (to deliver information to you if you are using Google or are registered with Facebook).
Other Third Parties
We will never sell or rent our customer data to any third-party organisation.
We may share your data with
- A business which acquires all or part of the LawSure business
- Government bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies and courts and tribunals if we are required to do so.
How long do we maintain your data?
We do not retain your data for longer than necessary for the purposes set out in this policy or such longer period as is required by our regulator.
What personal data do we collect?
LawSure may collect the following information about you:
- Your name, address, and contact details (including telephone number(s) and e-mail address)
- Details of any legal transaction you are involved with (such as the purchase of a property or the administration of a will)
- Details of insurances and indemnities effected through us
- Your communication and marketing preferences
- Correspondence and communications with us (including the recording of telephone conversations and transcripts of on-line chat conversations)
This list is not exhaustive and in specific instances, we may need to collect additional data for the purposes set out in this Policy.
You have the following rights:
- The right to ask for a copy of the personal data that we hold about you (the right of access).
- The right (in certain circumstances) to request that we delete Personal data held on you where we no longer have any legal reason to retain it (the right of erasure or to be forgotten).
- The right to ask us to update and correct any out of date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you (the right of rectification).
- The right to opt-out of any marketing communications that we may send to you and to object to us using or holding your personal data if we have no legitimate reason to do so (the right to object).
- The right (in certain circumstances) to ask us to restrict processing of data which means that we would need to secure and retain the data for your benefit but not otherwise use it (the right to restrict processing). And
- The right (in certain circumstances) to ask us to supply you with some of the personal data we hold about you in a structured machine-readable format and/or to provide a copy of the data in such a format to another organisation (the right of data portability).
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the contact details set out below.
Generally, LawSure collects and uses customers’ personal data because it is necessary for:
- The purpose of our legitimate interests (as set out below).
- The purposes of undertaking our duties to provide and administer relevant contracts of insurance and indemnity, or
- Complying with our legal obligations.
In general, we only rely on consent as a legal basis for processing personal data in relation to sending direct marketing communications to customers via email or text message. Customers have the right to withdraw consent at any time. Where consent is the only legal basis for processing, we will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn.
Our legitimate interest
The normal legal basis for processing customer data is that it is necessary for the legitimate interests of LawSure including:
- Providing and administering contracts of insurance and indemnity for our customers
- Promoting, marketing, and advertising our products and services
- Sending promotional communications which are relevant to our customers
- Understanding customers’ behaviour, preferences, and needs
- Improving products and services and developing new products and services
- Complying with our legal and regulatory obligations
- Preventing, investigating, and detecting crime or fraud
- Handling customer contacts queries, complaints or disputes
- Effectively handling of any legal claims or regulatory enforcement actions taken against LawSure
Cookies are small data files which are placed on your computer or other devices (such as smartphones or tablets) as you browse our website. They are used to ‘remember’ when your computer or device accesses our website. Cookies are essential for the effective operation of our website and to help us provide you with the appropriate services and information. They are also used to tailor the products and services we offer and advertise to you both on our website and elsewhere.
What are cookies used for?
The main purpose for which cookies are used are:
- For technical purposes essential to the effective operation of our website particularly in relation to site navigation and content.
- For LawSure to market to you particularly web advertisements and targeted updates
How do I disable cookies?
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How you can do this will depend on the browser you use. If cookies are switched off the website may not operate properly.
Data Protection Officer
The role of the Data Protection Officer is to ensure that we protect the personal data of our customers and comply with data protection legislation if you have any questions about how LawSure uses your personal data that are not answered here or if you wish to exercise any rights regarding your personal data please contact our data protection officer by:
Phone: 01293 880709
Post: Data Protection Officer, LawSure Direct Limited, 3 Blacklands Crescent, Forest Row, East Sussex RH18 5NN
It has always been LawSure’s policy to provide a variety of means of contact. Our contact numbers include both standard and 0845 numbers. While LawSure’s charge to you does not exceed local call charges, since 2016 providers have been allowed to charge you a variable access charge for calling 0845 numbers. You should check with your provider and, if this may affect you, call us on our head office number 01293 880700.
LawSure Direct Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Firm No. 533855.